Technologies and ecology
Hydrocarbon production is conducted in the Extreme North conditions and that imposes particular environmental obligations on the Company, which require more efficient use of natural resources and preservation of favorable environment in the Yamal-Nenets Autonomous Okrug. To implement these challenges, the third updated Environmental policy of Gazprom Dobycha Yamburg LLC was approved by Order № 1144 of 08 December 2015. The Environmental policy centers around sustainable development principles along with the observance of environmental regulations on mitigating the impact on the environment, rational use of natural resources, preservation of vulnerable ecosystem and traditional lifestyle of indigenous minorities of the Extreme North.
Reindeer Breeder's Day, Tazovsky
Efficient environmental activity is inseparably linked with implementation of environmentally determined management systems, which provide sound and sustainable development of the Company. Gazprom Dobycha Yamburg LLC has formalized and implemented environmental management system meeting the requirements of international standard ISO 14001:2015.
Major environmental actions:
- air protection and climate conservation;
- water resources conservation;
- environmental protection from industrial and household wastes;
- remediation and protection of lands;
- conservation of habitat and wildlife populations and ichthyofauna;
- establishment and development of industrial ecological control and monitoring;
- advancement of environmental management system.
Gazprom Dobycha Yamburg takes the following measures to reduce anthropogenic impact on the environment:
- instrumental detection of air composition onsite and automated station of environmental monitoring in the rotation settlement of Yamburg;
- instrumental detection of СО and exhaust opacity smoke at instrumental control post;
- regular monitoring of water bodies and their protective zones;
- microbiological control of waste water, ground water and soil;
- monitoring of the state of the environment and the subsurface of the license area of the Company;
- industrial environmental (eco-analytical) control;
- evaluation of the current state and long-term forecast of environmental parameter and social conditions changes while developing hydrocarbon fields of the Ob and Taz Bays;
- retrospective and predictive evaluation of geoecological situation in the area of Gazprom Dobycha Yamburg LLC operation;
- well gas-dynamic and geo-physical survey without popping of gas due to application of telecontrol and telemetry;
- technical and biological recultivation activities of disturbed lands at the construction sites of main and auxiliary facilities, including wells;
- GHG emission reduction due to the partial use of flash gas for own needs;
- pitless drilling, a type of drilling in which drilling cuttings are not placed in a pit but disposed and used again;
- clean-up of accumulated environmental damage at the Yamburgskoye and Zapolyarnoye fields;
- consistent professional and environmental training of the Company employees;
- reduction of natural process losses of consumables and chemical agents due to implementation of new technologies.
CGTU-5, Yamburgskoye field
- minimization of greenhouse gas emissions;
- prevention of contamination of surface and ground waters;
- waste reduction и regulatory compliance of waste disposal limits;
- agricultural land rehabilitation;
- compliance with environmental legislation requirements;
- increasing competence of the Company’s employees in environmental culture.